Therapy for Fertility Challenges & Pregnancy LossSupporting Perinatal Women in South Orange County and Across California
Trying to conceive a baby when it is not happening on your timeline is so frustrating and can create anxiety about how long it will take. You never imagined it would be like this. I was in your shoes in the past and I can relate to so many feelings you are experiencing.
I am here to walk with you through the grief and pain as you navigate this new world of Reproductive Medicine and fertility challenges. We will work together to help you process the feelings of grief, loss, shame and discouragement. You just want to have a baby in your arms, not go to so many appointments and have so many procedures.
You may also be experiencing loss due to transfers that did not work, miscarriage, and/or secondary infertility. Seeing others around you announcing their own pregnancies is devastating and takes a toll on you. Having support during this difficult time is so important. Some women want to keep this experience private and therefore do not have as much support as they need. Therapy with a trained provider, can help you with coping, waiting and grieving.
Therapy For Pregnancy Loss
“Miscarriage” is the unspoken grief that many women experience in their lives. Roughly 15-20% of all pregnancies in the United States end in miscarriage. And yet, it is often described as “normal” by many people and you don’t feel you can really express how you are feeling. You are left with questions and worry about what went wrong and left wondering if it is your fault. If you could have done something to prevent it.
You may have experienced multiple miscarriages, or a later term pregnancy loss, which makes it even more difficult to hope that you can have a healthy baby. Often times the medical community and well-intended family and friends deny the emotional significance of a loss and minimize the grief you are experiencing. I am here to tell you that you are not to blame and you are not alone.
The Aftermath of Miscarriage and Baby Loss
In the weeks and months following a pregnancy loss, you and your partner may be experiencing an emotional rollercoaster through a wide range of feelings. In general, it is common to feel a certain degree of shock and dismay, along with feelings of confusion. You may feel out of control, vulnerable, traumatized and unable to cope with daily life.
Here are some emotional experiences that are common to women and their partners following the loss of a baby that you might be able to relate to:
- Waves of unexpected and overwhelming emotions
- Tension in relationships
- Persistent feelings of guilt and unrelenting “what if…” thoughts
- Overwhelming numbness
- Fears and ambivalence about subsequent pregnancies
- A sense of emptiness and despair about ever having a healthy baby
- Conflict with your partner about plans for another pregnancy
- Lingering traumatic loss that affects your subsequent pregnancy
Grief can feel like a tidal wave that can overwhelm your body and spirit, touching on every aspect of your life. It is important to remember that each person’s experience of pregnancy loss is different, and there is no “wrong” way to grieve. I am here to offer you hope as you grieve. To walk with you and process the grief you are experiencing. I offer both talk therapy and EMDR to process the traumatic and difficult memories you hold.
Information about beginning therapy with Malaika:
1) The first step in scheduling an appointment is to contact me through my contact page and schedule your free 20 minute phone consultation. This gives us an opportunity to speak with each other and find out if we are the right fit for working together. If I determine that I would not be a good fit for you and your circumstances then I will refer you to other trusted therapists that I know who can best help with your situation. I value this step as I want you to get the help you need. If we both feel we are a good fit then the next step is to send you my paperwork.
2) The second step entails me emailing you a link to my confidential portal (HIPPA compliant) where you will fill out my initial paperwork and answer questions related to why you are seeking therapy. This needs to be completed before we can have an initial meeting.
3) We will schedule our first session most likely in my office. However, if you are interested in online Telehealth sessions please let me know in your initial phone consultation. My office is located at the corner of Oso and Marguerite in Mission Viejo.
4) Therapy sessions are generally 50-55 minutes long and we will meet once a week or every other week. (Other arrangements can be made if needed) My fee is $185 per session and I provide a superbill for you to submit to your insurance for out of network coverage if desired. I am able to answer more questions about this when we have our initial phone consultation. During our first meeting I will gather history about you and your current situation you are seeking therapy for and we will discuss your goals for therapy. Your goals are important and I encourage you to ask me any questions you may have. I look forward to working with you!
Contact Me Today to schedule your Free 20 minute phone consultation
I’d love to find out how I can help you and if I’m the right therapist for you